|Millbrook approved for ATRIP funding|
|Written by News Desk|
|Friday, 15 February 2013 09:13|
Several roads in Millbrook will be improved following a green light from Governor Robert Bentley earlier this month. These roads constitute 3 of 16 projects approved throughout Elmore County. In the second round of funding from the Alabama Transportation Improvement Program (ATRIP) Millbrook was approved for more than $700,000 in aid for roadway improvements. By contrast Elmore County, in its entirety only receives about $500,000 per year for such improvements from federal highway funds, according to County Engineer Richie Beyer.
Beyer currently serves as President of NACE - the National trade association of county engineers. He and Stuart Peters of Landmark Engineering, the company that handles engineering projects for the City of Millbrook, worked closely to prepare and submit these projects for ATRIP approval. The ATRIP program funds 80% of the projects. The remaining 20% is funded by local match. Rose Hill Road, Myrick Road and Cobbs Ford Road will all be improved as a result of this funding. The local match will be proportioned between the City of Millbrook and Elmore County because these roads move between jurisdictions in several areas. All are expected to begin in late 2013 or early 2014 depending on design and public bid timeframes, according to Peters.
"This is a testament to the City of Millbrook and Elmore County Commission working in tandem to identify projects ready to utilize these available ATRIP funds. there was a great deal of communication and planning to focus on projects that would meet the ATRIP criteria for selection. Each of these will now move to the engineering/scope of work development phase to prepare for future public bid," Peters said.
Mayor Al Kelley said the improvements, especially on Rose Hill Road, are sorely needed and praised Beyer, Peters, as well as the Elmore County Commission and Millbrook City Council for working together.
"We are pleased these transportation projects can move forward. We look forward to continued work with the County to benefit our citizens," Kelley said.
ATRIP is an ALDOT administered federal aid highway program where projects were submitted for review and ultimate approval by a committee appointed by the Governor and, in conjunction with the Governor, made the final project funding decisions.
Millbrook projects approved through ATRIP - Round 2:
Rose Hill Road - Local match - $85,500 ATRIP - $342,000 Total - $427,500
Cobbs Ford Road - Local match - $42,635 ATRIP - $170,542 Total - $213,177
Myrick Road – Local match - $67,500 ATRIP - $270,000 Total - $337,500
Stanhope's Austin Wilson (31-red) flys into assist on a tackle but just a little late.
Photo: Art ParkerRead more...
Jim and Cyndi Fezatte with thier boys Austin and Travis during Christmas at Okinawa 1994. Fezatte was a Millbrook Police Officer killed in the line of duty. A section of Main Street was recently renamed to honor him.
Photo: Special to The IndyRead more...
Governor Bentley signs the Best Interests of the Child Act during a bill signing...
|FOX News Network - We Report. You Decide.|
|Latest news from ESPN.com|
|The Weather Channel: Your Local Weather Outlook--Millbrook, AL (36054)|
|Local Weather Outlook for Millbrook, AL (36054). Since 1982, The Weather Channel has brought timely weather information to the world. Now via our Local Weather Outlook RSS feed we can keep you up-to-date on the latest weather affecting the cities of your choice including: current local conditions, local Doppler radar, pollen trends, regional video forecasts with expert commentary, and extended forecast details delivered right to your desktop. The Weather Channel...Bringing Weather To Life|