|Attorney general issues consumer alert regarding holiday shopping|
|Written by News Desk|
|Friday, 13 December 2013 14:40|
Attorney General Luther Strange today issued a consumer alert offering tips to Alabamians for safe shopping during the holiday season. The Attorney General's alert provides advice to protect consumers' identity, property and safety.
Please see the Consumer Alert tips below for more information about how consumers may protect themselves. This notice also will be posted at the Attorney General's website, at the page http://www.ago.state.al.us/Update-414.
As the holiday season approaches, many Alabama consumers will take to the internet and local establishments to begin shopping for gifts. The Attorney General's Consumer Protection Section has developed a list of good tips to keep in mind that can help protect the consumer's identity, property, and safety.
• Shop from reputable online sites that you know.
• Never respond to pop up ads.
• If possible, use a credit card versus a debit card when shopping online. Consumers can dispute charges with their credit card company, but using a debit card can give scammers direct access to the consumer's bank account.
• Make sure you are on a secure website before entering your personal information.
• Make sure you know what shipping and processing fees you are paying.
• Make sure you know the website's return policy before placing an order.
Shopping Out and About:
• Never carry large amounts of cash.
• Only carry the credit cards you intend to use.
• Watch out for shoulder surfers while at the checkout.
• Place packages in the trunk or out of site while shopping.
• Never travel with a purse or wallet lying on your seat. It takes less than 10 seconds at a red light for someone to break your window and take your belongings.
• Always check the store's return policy.
• Never talk to strangers that approach you in the parking lot.
Identity thieves and scammers prey on innocent consumers during the holiday season, protect yourself. If you feel at any time that you are not safe call 911, and report any suspicious activity to your local law enforcement.
More information about consumer issues and the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Section may be found by visiting www.ago.alabama.gov or by calling toll-free hotline 1-800-392-5658.
- Source: Attorney General's office
Hope Nelson proudly displays her artwork and painted face. Photos of children's artowork are available at Whimsy Daisy's Facebook page.
Photo: ContributedRead more...
At the Farmborough International Airshow (L-R): Greg Canfield - Director of The Alabama Department of Commerce, Daniele Cagnatel - President and CEO GKN Aerospace North America, Governor Robert Bentley, Leisa Finley - ECEDA Director, Elmore County Commissioner Joe Faulk
Photo: Special to The IndyRead more...
|FOXNews.com - Breaking news and video. Latest Current News: U.S., World, Entertainment, Health, Business, Technology, Politics, Sports.|
|Latest news from ESPN.com|
|The Weather Channel: Your Local Weather Outlook--Millbrook, AL|
|Local Weather Outlook for Millbrook, AL. Since 1982, The Weather Channel has brought timely weather information to the world. Now via our Local Weather Outlook RSS feed we can keep you up-to-date on the latest weather affecting the cities of your choice including: current local conditions, local Doppler radar, pollen trends, regional video forecasts with expert commentary, and extended forecast details delivered right to your desktop. The Weather Channel...Bringing Weather To Life|